No. 25 Main Street is part of a large house, built partly of brick and partly of stone. This was originally a hall and cross-wing house, with cruck trusses and some timber-framing, dating from about 1550. There was a major reconstruction of the house in the 1880s when the eaves were raised, and the chimney with its kitchen range and parlour fireplace were added. It was converted into three dwellings in about 1974. (1)
A subsequent visit to properties adjacent to 25 Main Street led to a re-evaluation of the original design of the complete building, showing that there are two distinct parts. One is the north-south cruck house, an open hall house with a two-bay hall, built perhaps in the first half of the 16th century. The second is the box-framed house lying east-west across the end of the cruck house. It is suggested that the cruck house originally extended further south by one bay, and that this bay was pulled down and replaced by the two-storey box-framed crosswing in the second half of the 17th century. At the same time the house was remodelled: an inglenook fireplace in No. 27 was built to replace the open fire in the hall, although there was still no upper floor to this part of the house; a passage was cut through behind the chimney from front to back; and an upper floor built over the passage and the northern end of the house beyond. In the late 18th or early 19th century the house was divided, probably at first into two, and later into three or four cottages. At some stage the timber outer walls were replaced in brick, and in about 1880 the stone north end wall was raised, and the eaves all round raised in brick to correspond. There have been subsequent alterations to, and removal of, the timbers. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 36, 27th April 1989.
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 124, 17th October 1992.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 40409 28042 (16m by 21m)
WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2016 11:34AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.