The oldest part of the building is the central portion, which includes Prior Overton's Tower, a handsome brick building of 1437. The tower was perhaps the Prior's private parlour and chamber above, with a great hall, suite of service rooms, and perhaps guest rooms to the east. The hall would have been where the eastern block of the present building now lies. It was probably a rectangular hall with high walls, rather than an aisled hall, as these were then goiung out of fashion. This hall was probably remodelled, and augmented in the Dissolution period by a hall and crosswing house, probably timber-framed, to the west of the tower and using the tower as the cross-wing. The front range was completely rebuilt in 1681. In the late 18th century the house became the property of the school, and the stone block was added at the eastern end, sweeping away any traces of Prior Overton's house east of the tower. The house was modified in the third quarter of the 19th century as the school began to expand again. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 5, 7th November 1989.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 30311 27251 (94m by 44m)
REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 4:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.