This is a two-storey T-shaped house with brick walls and a slate roof, which had a farmyard to the east. The oldest part of the house is the west wing, which appears to be a late 16th century cross-wing built against an earlier open hall on its east side. A turret was added to the cross-wing shortly after the wing was built, and a ceiling was added to the open hall soon afterwards. The house was probably sold in 1702, and then remodelled with brick walls at the east end, as recorded by the date stone. The timber-framed west wing and the turret were bricked over, probably in stages, during the 19th century, and the south end wall was completely rebuilt. (1)
The Old Hall is a timber-framed and brick house of two storeys with an attic. It has a T-plan with a timber-framed cross-wing of late 16th century date to the west and an attached main range of brick, probably built in 1702. The wing is a typical early post-medieval addition to a medieval house, providing a heated parlour, perhaps a kitchen, chambers and an attic. Its accommodation suggests that it belonged to a house of high status. The more modest main range of 1702, providing housebody and service room on the ground floor, first-floor chambers and an attic, suggests that the status of the house declined during the 17th century, perhaps from 'manor house' to farmhouse level. The major problem of interpretation involves the function and date of the turret in the angle between main range and wing. (2)
Sixteen samples (eight from timbers in the the hall and eight from the cross-wing) were taken in order to carry out tree ring dating. Timbers from the hall roof provided a felling date of 1467, while those from the cross-wing roof gave a felling date between 1648 and 1653. (3)
Vernacular building dated to 1702 as indicated by datestone. There is a later brick casing over 16th century timbers. (4)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 60, 25th January 1990.
Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1991. Historic Building Report, The Old Hall, Hall Lane, Church Broughton, Derbyshire. HER Doc. No. 692.
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial Report 7 September 1992.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 20557 33545 (19m by 13m)
CHURCH BROUGHTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 27 2017 4:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.