This three-storey brick house of three bays, with a lower addition at the north end, stands end-on to the Church facing east onto a small green. Documentary sources suggest that there was a house on this site in 1584, and there is an inventory of 1615 recording a house of two rooms with detached kitchen, butcher's shop, and buttery. The present house is later, built in the late 17th century as a three-room house, in brick with some diaper work. In the late 18th century the house was refronted and the walls raised, and soon after the northern bay was rebuilt for use as an apothecary's shop. Alterations and additions were made at various times throughout the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 67,16th July 1990.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 38892 25021 (12m by 22m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.