Timber framed and brick house with a thatched roof, the west gable right up to the lane and the east end close to the brook. The house is one and a half storeys high, and was divided into cottages in the 19th century. There are three early stages of development of the house, with the use of crucks representing the first probably in the 15th century. The walls of the cruck house may well have been built of mud, clay or cob. The eastern end was rebuilt in timber in about 1600, and the western end in the late 17th century, when an outshot was added. The eastern end was rewalled in brick in the 19th century, and documentary evidence records the late division of the house to accommodate several households. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 12084 33646 (15m by 14m)
DOVERIDGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2015 4:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.