Building record MDR10749 - 4-5 The Green, Ticknall
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Elizabethan to Stuart - 1600 AD? to 1700 AD?)
No 4 is the northern of a pair of houses standing at the west end of The Green, just off the Ashby Road. No 4 was built in the 17th century of stone; it is not timber-framed as suggested in the D of E list. Nos. 4 and 5 were built as one house with two rooms on the ground floor, and chambers in the roof space. With its chimney, and central entrance next to the stair, it could not be built before about 1600, and not in 1528, as stated on sale particulars. Its good workmanship, but no land, suggests that it was built for a craftsman or smallholder with fields elsewhere. In the late 18th or early 19th century the eaves were raised, and brick extensions were built at both ends so the house could be divided into two cottages This was presumably carried out by the Harpur Crewe estate, who also later added sculleries in single-storey rear wings. By the 1980s No. 4 was in poor condition, but has been renovated. (1)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 106, 25th June 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34840 23330 (11m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 1:51PM