This two-storey red brick house stands in the fields close to the moated site of the former Sharrow Hall (SMR 23907). There is a later stable block attached to the west end of the house, on whose walls are numerous graffiti dating between 1908 and the present, including three or more sketches of a house with a central door and two dormer windows, with lower buildings at each end. The house is believed to have been built at the end of the 17th century, following the demolition of Sharrow Hall and its many associated outbuildings about 1640. As originally built, the house consisted of the southern range only, and it is possible that the drawings on the stable wall do indeed represent this house, suggesting that it was still one-and-a-half-storeys high when the stable block was built, or rebuilt, perhaps in the middle of the 19th century. It was built as a farm house, and to judge by the good workmanship for a prosperous farmer. The house has been subjected to numerous alterations. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 107, 16th June 1992.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 23752 36977 (37m by 27m)
OSLESTON AND THURVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 1:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.