This is a brick house, partly of two storeys and partly of three, lying on the south side of Kings Newton street with a range of outbuildings to the west of the house. The present occupant is descended from the family who occupied the property in 1790 when it was described as "A Dwelling house with a building formerly a cottage and two stables adjoining, 3 barns containing 10 bays, a cowhouse adjoining one of the barns, a gateway between the barns covered over - these buildings are part brick walls, part brick nogging, part Mud - thatch'd and the whole in very indifferent repair - yard, garden and orchard. Area 0 acres, 3 roods, 27 perches". The present building is in two parts, neither of which can be thought of as a complete house; there seems to have been several phases of alternate rebuilding. The oldest part at present is the three-storey block, probably of about 1800/1820, with a very thick front wall which may be the remains of something older. The adjoining kitchen block dates from the late 19th century, but there was a building on the site before which may have been much older. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 108, 3rd June 1992.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.