Building record MDR10752 - The Grange, Weston Upon Trent
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Grange stands to the east of Weston village out in the fields close to the Trent & Mersey canal. This is believed to be the site of a medieval grange of Chester Abbey, though no medieval remains are known to survive. The house is three storeys high and has an irregular plan, running across the southern corner of the farmyard, which does not now belong to the house. The land and buildings were separated form the house in 1980 and its buildings are now derelict. The 1833 OS map shows a building on this spot, as do subsequent editions, but the present house may be a rebuild. Although elements of the house appear to date from the 18th century, and a stone building against the end of the stable incorporates two stones with 1807 incised on them, the extreme irregularity of the plan is unparalleled before the architect-designed plans of the time of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The house walling appears to be of one build, with the roof dating to sometime after 1900. (1)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 109, 3rd July 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41589 28421 (20m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2016 12:33PM