Building record MDR10765 - Manor Farm cowsheds, The Green, Weston Upon Trent
Type and Period (1)
- FARM BUILDING (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1870 AD?)
- None recorded
Manor Farm, rebuilt in about 1890, stands on the south side of Aston Road as it leaves the Green. The buildings recorded here back onto the road on the opposite side of the entry to the farmyard from the house. They are mostly brick with some stone-walling, and are the oldest on the site. They enclose a very large yard, much of which is now occupied by a covered cattle yard. The large provision of cowsheds reflects the former importance of dairying in this area, although now no cattle are kept and it is proposed to convert all the farm buildings to dwellings. The oldest part of these buildings is the western end that is partly walled in stone, probably originally a cowshed with hayloft over and adjoining stable, perhaps built around 1800. New cowsheds and a lofted end block were then built against the east end of the stable in the middle of the 19th century. Later the first of the more spacious southern range of cowsheds were built up to this, and not long afterwards the length of the southern range was doubled and the feeding walk added. Finally the stable was enlarged at the expense of the first cowshed and refronted in brick, the whole completed by about 1870. (1)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 126, 4th November 1992.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 40579 28281 (53m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2016 11:37AM