The Grange is at the western end of the village at the meeting of Ticknall Main Street with the roads to Hartshorne and Repton. It is a double pile brick house of two storeys and attics standing back from the road facing south behind a yard of farm buildings. The name Grange may relate to the fact that Ticknall had a grange of Burton Abbey in the middle ages, or it may be a fashionable 19th century farm name. The earliest use of the name would appear to be in the Tithe Award of 1843, when it belonged to the Calke Estate, and nothing about the present house is medieval. The house has a huge stone chimney which is integral with the stone plinth which runs along the front wall. This must belong to an earlier timber-framed house, perhaps built at the end of the 16th century. The brickwork shows that the house was completely rebuilt in the early 18th century, and there have been various minor additions and alterations in the 19th and 20th century. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 128, 14th November 1992.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34965 24030 (13m by 11m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.