Queen Mary's Nursing Home is a brick villa of around 1830-40, with additions of several dates. It stands in spacious grounds (SMR32457) and has a small lodge at the roadside. (1)
Park Field, Duffield Road. The house is situated in what were once fairly extensive pleasure grounds, and in 1928 it was extended to become a Maternity Hospital. The original building of about 1835 was a fairly modest Regency Villa of three bays by two, in brick with some stone dressings, under a low hipped roof. It was built for Alderman John Sanders, and was possibly designed by Alderman Richard Leaper, a notable gentleman architect in Derby and a friend of Sandars. After Sandar's death in 1867 the house was sold to Charles Henry Smith, a director of Boden's lace Mill. He appears to have made only minor alterations before selling the house in 1897 to Thomas Carline Eastwood, who set about enlarging and modernising it. The house was sold and turned into a maternity hospital in 1928, which involved the addition of a large new east-west block of three storeys, connected to the house by a simple brick corridor. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 129, 24th November 1992.
Unpublished document: Craven, M. 1992. Park Field, Duffield Road.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34748 37236 (32m by 31m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 11:59AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.