Park Field, Duffield Road. The house (SMR32456) was built in c.1835, and a pathway gate of this period remains near the original entrance door. It is of cast iron with Anthemion piers which precisely resembles ones at St Werburgh's church and are known to have come from Messr. Weatherland, Glover & Co of Duke Street. Between 1857 and 1861 William Barron was called in to landscape the pleasure grounds to which extra land had been added between 1852 and 1857. It was then that the gate lodge was added in matching style. It is difficult to recover the layout of the gardens due to years of neglect. There are fragments of garden ornaments lying on the ground, as well as the base of a small building and a tennis court. There is also a stone urn which would appear to be one of those from the parapet of the 1731 Derby Guildhall. (1)
Unpublished document: Craven, M. 1992. Park Field, Duffield Road.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34736 37212 (114m by 111m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 11:59AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.