This is a two-and-a half-storey, double-pile house standing back from the Main Street facing north. It is built of brick rendered over, and has a single-storey extension at the western end. It was built by the Harpur Crewe estate about 1690-1700 as a farmhouse. In the mid 19th century it was an inn, The Three Tuns, and the single-storey extension dates from this period. Cream cheese is also known to have been a speciality of the house, but the external dairy and other outbuildings have now been demolished. The house was derelict in the early 1950s when the Estate sold the house, and it is now restored. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 140, 4th August 1993.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35022 19075 (22m by 16m)
SMISBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 2 2014 3:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.