This brick farmhouse lies near the bank of the River Trent, and was reached by a track from the main road a field away to the north until, in about 1936, the river was dredged and a lane made along the bank by putting stone chippings onto the dredgings. The house consists of a main north-south range with wings projecting from the middle of each side, and a dairy built on at the north end. There is a yard of buildings to the north. The main part of the house, the north-south range with back-to-back chimneys , looks as if it was built soon after 1700 as a west-facing brick house with internal timber partitioning. On the site of the present kitchen there was either an east wing or more probably an earlier timber hall of perhaps 1500-1550. The hall or east wing was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century, using 17th century panelling from elsewhere. The west dairy wing was built in the late 19th or early 20th century, and further alterations followed. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 151, 9th March 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37090 28558 (15m by 17m)
SWARKESTONE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.