This single-storey brick building with a tiled roof was in use as a clinic until 8 June 1994 and is to be demolished on June 13 in order to build a replacement on the site. In the wall at the western end is a terracotta plaque with a shield containing the letter C ( for Cowper) under a coronet and the date 1884. The building was erected by the Cowper Estate as an Estate Office. It has a Clerk's office on the west of the entrance and the Agent's Office with a better window and moulded ceiling on the east, with a strong room for important documents beyond the Agent's room to the north. This use was terminated in 1924, and it is not known how it was used until its employment as a clinic and dispensary. It required little adaptation for the purpose, and was therefore of special interest as a barely-altered special purpose dated building. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 154, 10th June 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 38539 25050 (11m by 9m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.