Listed Building record MDR10794 - Rectory Farmhouse, Weston Upon Trent
Type and Period (2)
- VICARAGE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1300 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Tudor - 1504 AD to 1510 AD)
This two-storey, timber-framed and brick house with tiled roofs consists of a main north-facing range with two wings of separate dates facing south. A rectory on this site was burnt down in the 14th century, and would have been immediately replaced, probably by an open aisled hall with solar and service rooms. None of this rectory remains, but the present front range was built against a pre-existing hall in about 1480, to contain a larger suite of private rooms. By the very early 17th century the medieval hall was replaced by a timber-walled kitchen and service rooms, creating a complete 17th century yeoman house. The east end of the house was rebuilt in the late 18th century, and much of the timber walling was replaced, or infilled, in brick. The house was a rectory until the 1930s when it became a private dwelling, and for a while the walls were rendered. In 1983 a Pets Cemetery and Crematorium was established here. (1) Rectory Farmhouse presents a façade of two bays of close studded timberwork to the first floor, about a ground floor of brickwork. Within this section are three trusses of principal rafter type carrying single purlins and having tiebeams and collars. This part of the house is listed as being mid-16th century, though in the ceiling of one of the ground floor rooms is a heavily moulded bridging beam. This bridging beam is probably late 15th century and has led to the suspicion that the rest of the house could possibly also be of this date. A rear wing extends to the rear of the house with trusses of similar type, the construction of this portion appearing to be contemporary with the front. Tree ring dating was commissioned to establish a firm construction date, with a total of ten core samples being taken. The results indicated that the timbers used in both the front range and the rear wing were felled at the same time, although there was some evidence to suggest that those from the front range were obtained from a different source to those from the rear wing. All timbers appeared to have been felled in the early part of 1504. (2)
- --- SDR24679 Unpublished document: Katsifas, D (ARS Ltd). 2020. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Rectory Farm, Weston on Trent.
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 157, June 1994.
- <2> SDR4471 Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. June 1996, Report 96/9.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 40103 27752 (17m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2020 12:59PM