The Dolphin is a two-storey timber-framed house with a garret in the gabled northern bay; behind, the first bay of a three-gabled addition remains, the other two bays having been demolished in 1928. A range of single-storey outbuildings runs back from the south end of the house, and includes a 19th century brewhouse; these were not examined. Tradition has it that the Dolphin was built in 1530, although the only positively early 16th century fabric is in the ceiling of the entrance passage. The house has a traditional sub-medieval plan, of a form expected between 1550 and 1650, although there could have been an earlier building on the same footings of which the passage is all that remains. There would probably have been a detached kitchen at the rear of the plot. Between about 1600 and 1630 the house was extended by a three-bay, three-storey range, although it is not clear whether this was built as a separate house and incorporated later. There were three rooms on each storey and it was probably timber-framed. Two-thirds of this part was destroyed in 1928. It is unclear at what date the Dolphin became an inn, and, given its central situation on the main road through town, it may have been built as one. (1)
Ye Old Dolphin Inn was built in the late 16th century although it has been much restored in the early 20th century. It is a timber-framed and rendered building with a clay tile roof, partly with old tiles. It is situated on a corner site and is L-shaped in plan. A passage on the right (formerly a public thoroughfare) has rooms and staircases leading off. There are two bars on the Queen Street front with a lounge and a small snug with early 20th century remodelling including the full-height panelling, along with a central bar and a restaurant upstairs with large 16th century beams exposed. There is one left gable at right angles to the street and a further gable on the return. There is extensive half-timbering on the first storey but this dates from an early 20th century remodelling. The windows are casement of 2-, 3-, and 4-lights, all 20th century. There is a glazed screen between the servery and snug and parts of the wall seating are probably 19th century. There are Bell-pushes in the bar on the street corner. This is Derby's oldest pub with the licence said to date from 1580. (2)
The Old Dolphin Inn is a timber-framed inn claiming a foundation date of 1530, and was certainly in existence by 1618. It has a relatively unspoilt interior, but the exterior timber is a replacement of 1912. The original timbers rapidly decayed when a Regency stucco covering was rashly removed in 1903. A 17th century range on Full Street was demolished in 1953. (3)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR159, 8th June 1994.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1228932.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35199 36557 (12m by 16m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.