Holden House is a double-pile three-storey brick house with a pyramidal roof crowned by a multiple chimneystack. It stands on a narrow neck of land with the River Trent on its south side and the Trent & Mersey Canal to the north, separated from the house by the lane called Canal Bank. The house was probably built about 1830-40, perhaps as an inn. It was a Post Office in 1901, and remained so until 1955. (1)
No. 1 Canal Bank is an early 19th century house with later alterations. It is built from rendered brick with a 20th century hipped concrete tile roof, a central brick ridge chimney stack ad stepped eaves band. It is three storeys, with three bays. There is a central 20th century panelled door with a plain overlight below a wedge lintel with the bottom edge slightly arched to either side of the central keyblock. To either side there are glazing bar sash windows below similar lintels and above there are three similar windows, except they have corniced keystones. Above again there are three smaller glazing bar sash windows below similar lintels to those on the ground floor. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 163, 29th August 1994.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1334672.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 44238 30266 (12m by 12m)
SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.