No. 49 is one of a terrace of eight cottages (nos 43-57) of brick and slate, stepped down in pairs to follow the fall of the land. Their front elevations, as with many other houses on this side of the street, face the gardens, where a slate plaque in the centre reads "Sick Club Buildings No VIII. Erected MDCCXCV". The style of the houses, and documentary sources would agree with this building date of 1795. Each of the buildings was provided with a framework-knitting room at the rear. A survey of No. 49 shows that, like no. 47, it has been very little altered since built; the other six cottages appear to have been thoroughly modernised. (1)
'Sick Club Buildings No. VIII' is a vernacular building dated to 1795 as indicated by a slate plaque. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 165, 28th August 1994.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 38498 25226 (7m by 7m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.