This is a two-storey stuccoed house of three bays with a tiled roof, belonging to the Harpur Crewe Estate. It faces east onto the High Street and has in front a tiny area enclosed by iron railings, with an open ironwork porch flanked by stone urns. Over the doorway is a plaque shaped like a keyblock with the inscription "Sir G C Ba: 1835 R S Ag.", which was dug up in the garden and put on the wall by a previous occupant. It probably commemorates a Royal Agricultural Society Show at which Sir George Crewe exhibited his prize-winning cattle. Although unconnected, the house was probably built at about this date, perhaps re-using the remains of the walls of an earlier building. At the end of the 19th century, or beginning of the 20th, the house was remodelled. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 167, 23rd September 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35000 23657 (11m by 13m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:12PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.