Building record MDR10806 - The Old Smithy, High Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (1)
(Elizabethan to Georgian - 1600 AD? to 1750 AD?)
Loading documents & images
The blacksmith's house stands back from the road beyond a front garden, and between the two is a wide entry opening out as a yard behind the smithy and to the north of the house. The forge itself (see SMR 27189) is built at the roadside, and part of it has been turned into a bus shelter. The present house is built of brick and some stone, two rooms wide and three storeys high, with a two-storey outshot on the southern side, and two lower storeys at the northern end to accommodate a semi-sunken cellar. It was probably built in the middle of the 18th century as part of the Harpur-Crewe Estate. It is apparently built on the site of an earlier house, perhaps mid 17th century. There were major alterations and additions in the later 20th century. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 168, 28th September 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34988 23687 (17m by 16m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:12PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.