Building record MDR10807 - The Forge, High Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (1)
- FORGE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The forge is built at the roadside, and part of it has been turned into a bus shelter. The blacksmith's house (SMR 27179) stands back from the road beyond a front garden, and between the two is a wide entry opening out as a yard behind the smithy and to the north of the house. The present forge appears to date from the late 19th century, although it is a reconstruction of an earlier forge which was enlarged to have two hearths. On a map of 1845 it is shown as owned by Sir George Crewe and occupied by Henry Minion, whose family were smiths throughout the 19th century. (1)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 168, 28th September 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35006 23689 (7m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:12PM