Building record MDR10813 - Former workshops/engine sheds, Clay Cross
Type and Period (1)
(Former Type) (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 402652. An interesting engine shed is now [in 1969] used as a store for surplus museum relics. It has twinned round-arched cast-iron windows. Sand hole at foot of chimney. Iron lamp-oil tank has tap handle fitted with padlock. (1)
To the east of the North Midland main line, close to the site of the former Clay Cross station, is a single-storey brick workshop with twinned round arch cast-iron windows now filled in, which was once the workshops of the Stretton and Ashover Railway. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p 238.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 29.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 40165 65128 (47m by 53m)
CLAY CROSS, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:24PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.