No. 39 is a two-storey brick cottage, evidently made from two smaller ones, with No. 37 ( SMR 27176) adjoining to the north, and a leanto brick shed belonging to No. 41 to the south. There is a long garden behind on the east side with two sheds, one of brick and one of stone. The earliest part of the house is the double-fronted southern end marked out by boulders at the corners of the footings. The footings may remain from an earlier timber house, probably rebuilt in the early 18th century in brick, to the original two-room plan and perhaps re-using ceiling beams, following the common estate practice of re-using materials. At the end of the 18th century the second cottage was built at the north end. About 1820-30 No. 37 was built, and at the same time the thatch was removed from both parts of No. 39 and the eaves raised to their present level and the roof tiled, and subsequently the three upper east windows were inserted. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 173, 8th November 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35020 23663 (7m by 13m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.