Building record MDR10819 - Old Post Office, 42 Main Street, Etwall
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Former Type) ? (Stuart - 1650 AD? to 1700 AD?)
- POST OFFICE (Former Type) (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1965 AD?)
- SHOP (Built, Georgian to Unknown - 1830 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
This is a large and striking house in a commanding position opposite the church facing west. It is two storeys high, built of rendered brick, with three bold curvilinear gables and a central porch. The earliest surviving part of the house is the dining room with bedroom over it, probably the remains of a house built parallel to the street in the late 17th century. The room to the east was added, and the roof rebuilt in the opposite direction, some time after 1700, and is shown on a map of 1798. Major reconstruction of the house took place in the early 19th century, and the central block and north wing were added, to create a house of high social level occupied by a small-gentry family or a well-to-do-tradesman. The block at the end of the north wing is later and perhaps dates from sometime before 1910, when the house was divided into two tenements, the southern part being the Post Office. The Post Office had moved away by about 1965. (1) The structure fronting onto the street probably mostly dates from c.1830, but probably incorporates 18th century elements. For most of the 19th century this building consisted of 2 shops, separated by an alley. The northern portion of which may have served as a pub, but in the late 1880s it was converted into a bakery. The use of the building as a Post Office in the 20th century probably led to the two shops being converted into one and to the blocking of the alley. The buildings to the rear were of 19th century date and originated as a cowshed, stable and carthouse. (1)
- --- SDR24765 Unpublished document: Morris, M. 2011. Etwall Conservation Area: Character Statement.
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 176, 2nd December 1994.
- <2> SDR24131 Unpublished document: Heath, P. 2017. Historic Building Appraisal The Old Post Office, 42 Main Street, Etwall.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 26936 31967 (18m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||ETWALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2021 2:05PM