Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR10826 - Old Red House, 84 Main Street, Etwall

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Old Red House is the middle one of three conjoined houses, and appears to have been built up against The Lawn on the south side, with The Limes built up against it on the north. The three houses were owned by, and probably built by, the Harpur Crewe Estate and functioned as dower houses for Calke Abbey. The Old Red House is a three-storey, five-bay brick house facing west and standing back from the Main Street at its eastern end. The oldest part of the house, the timber-framed wall, was the back wall of a two-storey house built between 1575 and 1625, probably one room wide, and two or three rooms long. A brick outshot was added at the back in the late 17th or early 18th century. Later in the 18th century the front wall was rebuilt in brick to three storeys, and the eaves of the whole house raised to match. If the house was ever three rooms long, the most northerly was abandoned at this time. A new kitchen was added in 1980. (1)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: Morris, M. 2011. Etwall Conservation Area: Character Statement.
  • <1> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR, 2nd March 1995.



Grid reference Centred SK 27110 32128 (16m by 12m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR2170
  • EDR5214

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 10 2021 2:10PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.