This is a very large house of three storeys, built of brick, in two parts: an earlier long, western range and a later square block built on at the eastern end. It was a rectory and stands in extensive grounds immediately south of the churchyard; it had a considerable glebe attached. The oldest part of the house is the easternmost room of the west wing with the passage partitioned off from it, perhaps forming together the middle part of a three-bay timber-framed house dating from about 1600. Early in the 18th century the house was radically rebuilt, retaining only the one original room, re-facing the front wall and raising it to three storeys, but leaving one short stretch of the back wall in timber. Towards the end of the 18th century the eastern end of the house was rebuilt and extended, and the coachouse was built at this time. Further additions were made in the middle of the 19th century. The house was been divided into three tenements in the 20th century, and during the last war a flat was made on the top floor for Land Girls. It was sold by the Church in 1985 and is currently being restored. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36735 27114 (38m by 17m)
STANTON BY BRIDGE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:18PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.