Monument record MDR1085 - Reynard's Cave, Tissington
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Early Neolithic to Medieval - 4000 BC to 1539 AD)
- OCCUPATION SITE (Early Neolithic to Medieval - 4000 BC to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Cave which is approximately 120ft above the road, with an entrance 5m wide which extends horizontally into the rock for 7m. It was excavated in 1959 by the Stoke-on-Trent Museum Archaeological Society. Neolithic finds consisted of two flint scrapers and two sherds of pottery. These were tentatively ascribed to the Ebbsfleet variety of Peterborough Ware. Iron Age finds consist of a single potsherd with a heavily scored rim, which has been noted as indicative of Hallstatt influence. The Roman occupation of the cave is evidenced by a bronze fibula, an ox goad and 2nd to 4th century pottery (mostly Castor ware). The Medieval finds consist of a coin from the period of Henry III's reign [1216-1272] and a few medieval objects. There was also some undated pottery, pieces of worked bone and iron. The finds have been recorded as representing visitation rather than occupation. There was no evidence for a hearth. (1, 2) Reynard's cave is at SK 145 525. There are no indications of the 1959 excavation. Published survey (25") correct. (3) The small sherd with the roughly scored rim from Reynards Cave is listed by Challis and Harding under 'Pottery with Hallstatt Influence'. (4) The cave is listed in the survey. (5)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2220.
- <2> SDR8135 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, J H. 1959. 'Excavations at Reynard's Cave, Dovedale', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 79, pp 117-23. pp 117-123.
- <3> SDR6380 Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p 37.
- <5> SDR2456 Bibliographic reference: Whitwell, J B. 1982. 'Coritani', British Archaeological Report 99. pp 113, 139, 304. pp 113, 139, 304.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1452 5250 (12m by 12m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2015 12:35PM