The Nook is a curiously aligned group of cottages off the north side of Chapel Lane, which must have been built after 1787 as the Enclosure map of this date shows a narrow range of buildings running north-south on the site. All are built of brick, though No. 7 is also painted. The earliest parts of No. 7, probably built between 1790 and 1820, are the western end, which appears to have been built as a stable with a tiny tackroom at its eastern end and a hayloft above, and the eastern end, which was built as dwelling house separate from the stable. In about 1830 the western stable was extended and turned into a cottage, and the walls were clad with matchboarding. This building was later used as a meeting-place for the Methodists before their chapel was built in 1839, and at a later date was used as a scout hut. At some time in the 19th century a block of one room up and one room down was built linking the eastern and western cottages, so that No. 7 then housed three families. There have been subsequent additions and alterations. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 211, 22nd February 1997.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35390 28556 (12m by 8m)
BARROW UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2016 3:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.