Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR10858 - St Mary's Chapel House, Derby

Type and Period (1)

  • (Stuart - 1694 AD? to 1710 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

This is a brick house built onto the earlier chapel in about 1700, and refenestrated in the 19th century when other alterations were also made. Originally built for the master of a hosiery workshop established in the chapel itself in 1694, it was divided into cottages in the 1830s and restored to its present condition in the 1930s. (1) St Mary's on the Bridge Chapel and Bridge Chapel House. House with attached Chapel. By 1712 the Chapel had been converted into poor dwelling houses, combining the brick house, with coped gables and large chimney stacks (late 17th century origins). The house has sash windows with channelled stucco lintels, with raised triple keyblocks, inserted in the late 19th century. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 218, November 1997.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site. Gazetteer: 15-004.



Grid reference Centred SK 35328 36758 (14m by 13m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR2203
  • EDR3895

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 2 2024 8:44PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.