The timber-framed house on the site was completely rebuilt for the Bristowes in the second quarter of the 18th century as a well-proportioned, but essentially vernacular, 5 bay, 3 storey edifice, with sashed fenestration decorated with rusticated lintels and keyblocks. The south front was rebuilt re-using earlier materials by George Bridgart of Derby in 1857, who was also responsible for the farm buildings. In about 1897 the last Bristowe sold the house to the Harpurs, but its role as a farm did not change. It was purchased from the Harpur-Crewe estate and let as apartments, but sold in 1993, and is considerably restored as a private residence. (1)
The building survey of Twyford Hall is currently confidential. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 315, illust.
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 223, March 1998.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 32764 28375 (25m by 31m)
TWYFORD AND STENSON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 15 2014 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.