The Stone House, which belongs to the Melbourne Hall Estate, stands opposite the south side of the church facing north towards it; behind it are extensive gardens running down towards the Pool, with a boathouse, a well in a stone shelter dated 1829, and a shallow semicircular pool built of stone, said to be for washing clothes. When seen from the south the house has three storeys and an attic, but the slope of the ground means that that the lowest storey becomes a basement on the north side. The two-cell house was built in 1673, and soon after alterations were made to the west end. It is built of fairly coarse rubble stonework, incorporating a few clay tiles here and there which seem to be aprt of the original fabric. Many of the internal partitions are timber framed, and it appearrs that the gable ends of the house are timber framed also. It was a convenient workplace for Robert Bakewell during his time at Melbourne from 1706-1711, when he made ironwork for Thomas Coke and other clients, and it is suggested that there was a forge at the house before Bakewell's time. Later the stone house was occupied by the estate agent, and then became the traditional residence of the Melbourne Hall gardener. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 228, September 1998.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 38895 24968 (21m by 9m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.