Two-storey brick and stone house, T-shaped on plan. The oldest part of the house is the stone-walled part, incorporating a fragmentary cruck couple with the stud and plank partition built into it. The date would be before the middle of the 17th century, possibly before 1600. The house is believed to have burnt down about 1670, and it was then remodelled and rebuilt. About 1840 the north front of the house was regularised and the eaves probably raised. (1)
Hilltop Farmhouse is a multi-phase vernacular house, formerly a farmhouse, altered and refronted in the early 19th century, but with substantial surviving fabric from all phases, and retaining clear evidence of the evolution of the present plan form. It was built in the 17th century or earlier, extended and altered in the late 17th century, and refronted and further extended c. 1840. It is built from Coal Measures sandstone and red brick, possibly replacing timber-framing in the rear wing, and with lined-out render to parts of the rear elevation. There are ridge and gable brick chimneys and a plain tile roof covering. The building is irregular T-shape in plan with the early range to the south and the refronted range to the north. The front elevation is of 2 storeys with 4 bays. It has an off-centre doorway with a 4-panel door and a service bay to the west end. Inside, the rear range has 2 rooms divided by a passage, originally by a cruck truss, with a plank and muntin partition, this now forms part of the south wall of the north room. Within the south room a spine beam with 17th century chamfer stops extends from the south wall to the cruck-framed wall. The cast cruck blade has been cut back from floor level to just below ceiling level. The north room has 2 ceiling beams with exposed joists, a built-in cupboard to the south-west corner and a 2-panel framed and boarded door on iron strap hinges. There is a deep hearth with a 20th century inserted stove at north end, with baffle to east side. The frontage range incorporates the former wing, the east room of which has a spine beam with an elaborate 17th century chamfer stop. The 19th century added front rooms have panelled shutters to the windows. There is a 19th century stick baluster stair within the hallway, probably partially formed from the north end room of the 17th century house. (2)
Barn and dairy outbuildings attached to multi-phase vernacular house covering 17th-20th centuries. Currently (2008) vacant. Separate ownership from multi-phase house. Recent significant deterioration. Urgent works discussion with owner. (3)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 234, 13th July 1999.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1031579.
Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 45330 56860 (61m by 64m)
SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2017 11:16AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.