The house stands back from the north side of the old A50 road from Sudbury to Doveridge. It is built of brick and tile, and is L-shaped on plan, the main range lying north-south and a long wing running east from its north end. Only part of this wing now belongs to the house, the other part forming a separately owned cottage, at the far end of which is a former barn, now converted to a dwelling. Behind the east wing is a shorter, parallel range, and in the northwest corner between this and the house is a single-storey lean-to. The house consists of two separate but joined dwellings built at the same time in the mid 18th century, perhaps fro two brothers or other close relatives who had jointly inherited the family farm. The bow window was added about a generation later, and the house was turned to face west rather than east. The kitchen wing was probably built about the beginning of the 19th century. About 1900 the leanto and bay window were added, and other improvements made. Changes were made to enable its use as a guesthouse in the 20th century, but the house is now being restored. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 235, 3rd August 1999.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 13046 33478 (18m by 24m)
DOVERIDGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2015 11:35AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.