Skip to main content

Building record MDR10875 - Hills Cottage, Stanton By Bridge

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1840 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Hills Cottage stands end on to the lane leading to the stone quarry from which the village takes its name, and is built largely from stone from the quarry - grit or sandstone of varying quality, sometimes iron stained. It is a two-storey, two-room cottage, with a washroom incorporated, built of brick and stone in the early 19th century, in at least two stages. It seems that a single cell, one up, one down cottage was built first, not before the 19th century when pine became commonly available hereabouts. The wash house was added later. The cottage was considerably enlarged in the 1960s, and is now in the course of further improvement. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 237, 6th October 1999.



Grid reference Centred SK 37149 27127 (15m by 12m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2220

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 1 2011 2:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.