Building record MDR10882 - Church Farm (Sawley Old Hall), Sawley
Type and Period (5)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- AISLED HALL HOUSE ? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CROSS WING HOUSE (Victorian - 1865 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DETACHED HOUSE (Medieval - 1150 AD? to 1300 AD?)
- MANOR HOUSE ? (Medieval - 1100 AD to 1200 AD)
- None recorded
This L-shaped two-storey house is built partly of stone and partly of brick. The stone west wing with its walls one metre thick may be the remains of an earlier medieval house. The stone walls start well below the present ground level, in the cellar, and go up to about half way up the first floor, above which they are brick. It is suggested that the original ground level was lower than it is now, and that the top of the stone wall may represent the top of the original building. The floor levels may have been altered when the house platform was built, perhaps to prevent flooding. If so, the range running east may replace one that was built at a lower level: the stone west wing was perhaps built onto a timber-framed hall and service wing. The house was radically rebuilt after 1865 and before 1900 using blue and red brick, the 'signature' of the Harrington Estate. Further alterations were made in the 20th century. (1) Masonry arches probably dating between 1150 and 1300 were revealed when plaster was stripped from the outer walls and render from the inner walls of the west wing. It now seems more likely that the west wing was a detached private block, and not an attached wing. Presumably the hall lay to the west; one would expect a timber aisled hall. (2) During the removal of render on the east-facing elevation of the western wing of the existing Church Farm farmhouse, sandstone masonry was observed. Features included two partial arches and a blocked opening. Sandstone masonry was also observed in the farmhouse cellar. It was clear that the sandstone masonry represented a building much earlier than the brick and rendered exterior of the buildings suggest. The masonry may date to the 12th century and it is possible that the building represented remains of a manor house in view of its proximity to the church. Groundworks adjacent to the west-facing elevation revealed further masonry surviving below ground. The nature of this masonry could suggest the presence of a projecting wing to the west. (3) A late 19th century farmhouse, incorporating the substantial remains of a 13th century house. The farmhouse is "L" shaped on plan. The west range is built of stone, raised and extended in brick; the east range is wholly brick built. The property is faced partly in red brick and partly in smooth render, beneath a gabled concrete tile roof. (4)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 245, 24th May 2000.
- <2> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 245a, 18th March 2004.
- <3> SDR20632 Unpublished document: Halsted, J (BUFAU). 2006. Church Farm, Sawley, Derbyshire. An Archaeological Watching Brief 2003-2006. p 9; Figs 5 & 12, Plates 5 & 6.
- <4> SDR21473 *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/138.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 47186 31327 (21m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:05PM