Etwall Lawns, No. 82 Main Street, Etwall, a late 17th or early 18th century building.
'The Lawn is attached on the north side to the Old Red House, which is itself attached to The Limes. The Lawn stands well back from the road facing south across park-like grounds, in which stand Lawn Cottage. The Lawn is built of brick with stucco, and has tiled roofs. The earliest parts of the present house are the ceilings of the hall and kitchen, which suggest a date around 1700. A cruciform plan for this a house is envisaged: the kitchen and room south of it formed the stem of the cross; the present hall, then a parlour, formed the east wing, matched by the present west wing then containing the entrance. The radical enlargement of the house took place about 1820: the room south of the kitchen was extended to form a fine dining room, with an even finer drawing room added on the other side of the old parlour, and a back kitchen was added. In the Edwardian period further alterations were made and a lean-to added to the west wing. The music room was built in 1936, and more recently a second storey has been added to it; a breakfast room and conservatory were also built. The Lawn, together with the Old Red House and The Limes, was at one time occupied by members of the Crewe family and this accounts for the links between them.' (1)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 27 32 PARISH OF ETWALL MAIN STREET 6/19 (East Side) 19.1.67 Etwall Lawns No.82 GV II
House. C17, completely encased in early C19, also with 1930 addition and minor C20 alterations. Rendered brick with plain tile roofs and large rendered side wall and ridge stacks, each with decorative banded shafts to corners. Cottage orne style. Two storeys with irregular plan; small recessed central gabled bay, flanked by advanced wide gabled bays, with short wing set back to west and a single storey 1930s addition attached to east. Central bay has been extended on the ground floor and has full height, gothic traceried, glazed screen in line with the advanced bays. To either side, the bays have single storey bows with balconies over and curved glazed doors below, those to east continuing all round the bow, and those to west, only to the front, the sides having sunken panels with corbel table to top. Above, in each of the three gables, is a single, four-centred arched, gothic traceried, glazing bar sash. The western wing has a large, four-centred arched niche, set in an advanced central bay with a pair of chamfered, four-centred arched doorcase within, each with studded wooden doors. Above is a projecting parapet over simple corbel table. To either side of the niche are single four-centred arched casements. Two similar windows above with single pane casements. Attached to east side of house is the single storey addition with a central C20 3-light window. Interior has fine oval drawing room with moulded cornices, segmental niche, curved panelled doors and marble fireplace. Similar detailing in the dining room, and also panelling. 1930s music room has re-used moulded beams and stone fireplace.
Listing NGR: SK2709932118.'