A brick house in a remote situation that is first recorded in c. 1858 as "Dog Kennel". The building has at the western end two kennels, each with a door and window beautifully detailed with moulded brickwork and pointed Gothick arches. The eastern end of the building was also kennels that were later adapted to provide human accommodation. The remaining line of the dogs yard, which was enclosed with a brick wall and adjoined piggeries on the west side, was all removed in the 1980s. The Stanhopes acquired the Elvaston estate at the Dissolution, and in the early 19th century Wyatt redesigned the Castle. From 1830 to 1850 the gardens and pavilions were laid out, and it is to this period that the Dog Kennel is ascribed. The first OS map of 1880 shows the building already with the large north sittingroom wing, and presumably it was by then also re-fronted and re-roofed. The 1901 map names it as Oak Flatt Cottage. In the early 20th century the present kitchen was added, and in the mid 20th century the study and back kitchen were built. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 259, May and July 2002.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 40216 32634 (9m by 9m)
ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.