Building record MDR10899 - Thurleston Grange, Elvaston
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Georgian - 1765 AD to 1765 AD)
- VICARAGE (Former Type) (Victorian to Second World War - 1844 AD to 1945 AD?)
- BOARDING SCHOOL (Former Type) (Second World War to Mid 20th Century - 1945 AD? to 1965 AD)
This handsome Georgian house of brick with stone dressings stands well back from the A6 in its own grounds. The inscription on the bricks of "A F N MF 1765" provides a likely building date which accords well with the evidence form the structure of the house. The house consisted of the front range, then five bays, and a rear wing containing the kitchen with service rooms east of it. In the early 19th century a radical enlargement took place: a large reception room or ballroom was added behind the parlour, the dining room was enlarged to the west by one bay, a new brick skin was added all around the south and east walls, and a new kitchen and a back pantry were added behind the original. A possible date for these alterations is 1844, when the house became a rectory. Later in the 19th century two small rooms were built to the east side of the kitchens, leaving a flagged passage from the rear of the enlarged staircase hall out to the garden and privies; bedrooms were provided above. Cellars were also dug at this time at the north end of the wing. After the second world war the house was bought as a boys' boarding school, and was run as such until 1965; it is now a private house again. (1)
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 265, 17th March 2003.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41394 31697 (18m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:13PM