Monument record MDR1090 - Saint's Hill barrow, Parwich Hill, Parwich
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A disturbed barrow in a plantation on the summit of Saint's Hill, near Parwich (named after the owner or occupier [Mr Saint]) was examined on the 9th August 1849 when about 80 third brass coins of the Lower Empire were found scattered about. (2,3,7). In 1846 Isaac Saint occupied the large field called 'Hill' adjoining the plantation at SK 18785499 which is shown on the Tithe Map (1) and it is therefore probable that the barrow is in this plantation. (3,4,7). In 1966, the area was surveyed at 1:2500. A heavy scatter of stone in an otherwise clear plantation was found which possibly marks the barrow excavated by Bateman. (5,7). According to Barnatt, the barrow was located on the crest of a broad hilltop, but is now  destroyed. The plantation was searched but there were no obvious traces of the barrow apart from some irregular areas of stones, probably shallow stone quarries for walls. Pre 1849, workmen quarried the barrow for wall stone and found c.80 bronze Roman coins. In 1849, Bateman excavated the remains and found two human teeth only. (8).
- <1> SDR606 Map: 1846. Tithe Map and Apportionment, Parwich.
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p61.
- <3> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p260.
- <4> SDR13288 Personal Observation: R1 DJC 22-MAY-63.
- <5> SDR6380 Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-MAY-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p84.
- <7> SDR9903 Index: NDAT. 1699. 1699.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 10:55.
|Grid reference||SK 1878 5498 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2010 11:42AM