Building record MDR10900 - The Old Rectory and The Close, North of St Andrew's Church, Radbourne
Type and Period (3)
(Georgian to Second World War - 1750 AD? to 1945 AD)
(Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1921 AD to 2050 AD)
(Second World War to 21st Century - 1945 AD to 2050 AD)
Loading documents & images
The Old Rectory and The Close, north of St Andrew's Church, Radbourne, a mid 18th century building.
The building was subject to an historic fabric survey in 2003 that concluded: 'This is a brick house of three storeys, to which has been added a larger block of similar brick two storeys high. It stands in spacious grounds north of the church, facing south onto a wide lawn bounded by trees. The glebe terriers in the 1680s mention a newly built parsonage, but there is nothing so early in the present house. The earliest work is the staircase, and one south window frame, both of which suggest a mid 18th century date for what must have been a major rebuilding. The next alteration, made between 1866 and 1895, consisted of the building of an enormous service block with dining room, and servant or guest accommodation above, that more than doubled the size of the house. About 1900 the drawing room was given a new bay window, but it is not known when the ballroom was built. At some time in the 20th century, perhaps 1930-40, the house ceased to be a rectory and was divided into two to form the Old Rectory and the Close. The western end is now being divided into apartments.' (1)
Personal communication from the current  resident, clarifies that the house was divided in 1921, rather than c1930-1940, and it is possible that one part of it continued to function as a rectory for a short time afterwards, but this point was not certain. The western part of the former house (The Close), was converted into apartments in the 1970s. (2) The resident attached a 1957 document which was a valuation of the property at the time the church was selling it on as a private residence. Among its details the document states that the building had stopped being used as a rectory in 1945 (please see linked document). (3)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 266, 31st March 2003.
Personal Observation: 2019. Correspondence on The Old Rectory, Radbourne.
Documentary Source: 1957. Valuation of Old Rectory, Radbourne, 1957.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 28563 36051 (point)
RADBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2019 12:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.