This brick farmhouse of two storeys and an attic, was estate built by the Stanhope family (Earls Harrington of Elvaston Castle). It stands facing south on low-lying, flat, ground, which is liable to flooding. It appears that the original house was T-shaped on plan, with extra rooms added to the wing which became wholly or partly a cottage. Few original features remain in the interior, which makes dating the building difficult, but a date about 1750 is suggested for first building. There have been additions in at least two stages, first to build the present kitchen and pantry, and then to add further dairy space. The attics above the original rooms may have been used as cheese rooms, and it is suggested that the building of the dairy may have taken place during the heyday of the cheese industry in the mid to late 19th century. The farm with its low-lying land was sold to Tarmac for gravel extraction, and in about 1940, when this had taken place, the farm was sold to the grandfather of the present owner. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 267, 25th April 2003.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 43372 31823 (19m by 26m)
ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:32PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.