Building record MDR1091 - Tissington Hall, Rakes Lane, Tissington
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Jacobean to Edwardian - 1609 AD to 1910 AD)
(SK 17475234) TISSINGTON HALL. (1) Tissington Hall is a medium sized, square Jacobean house with the south front remodelled in the 18th century and a library wing added circa 1910 by Arnold Mitchell. To the north of the house is a contemporary outbuilding much restored. (2) This hall is in an excellent state of repair. See G.P.s AO/66/24/8 and SO/66/25/2. (3) Grade II* llisted building built by Francis FitzHerbert in 1609. A considerable Jacobean house of irregular plan. South front remodelled in 18th century and wing added circa 1910. Stone with low pitched roofs concealed by parapets. Mullioned and transomed stone windows. The hall has some original panelling and an elaborate Gothick fireplace of circa 1752. An upper room has elaborate 17th century panelling with fluted pilasters. (4,6) The manor of Tissington began as one of Henry de Ferrers' numerous estates that was later divided into two. One passed in 1599 to Francis FitzHerbert who later bought the other half from the Cokaynes of Ashbourne and subseqently built the present house. The exact date is uncertain, but it must have been around 1610. Despite looking fairly characteristic of its time and locality, Tissington has seen considerable changes. The style of the west front that was added during a first restoration (suggested date of 1720) is Palladian and almost devoid of ornamentation. The second large-scale restoration was by Arnold Mitchell and carried out around 1900. Mitchell found that much of the Jacobean charm had been lost without the compensation of modern aids to gracious living, such as running hot water. He also rebuilt and enlarged the original semi-detached office buildings to the north and added a new wing in sham-Jacobean style, to house the library and billard room above. The hall is the biggest room and houses a fireplace with elaborate plasterwork of circa 1750, possibly put in during the ownership of the third William FitzHerbert. (7)
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR5073 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Ashbourne RD, Derby, Aug 1961, 45.
- <3> SDR6380 Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-MAY-66.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 345.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1940.
- <6> SDR4305 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p 68.
- <7> SDR23518 Article in serial: Christian, R. 1962. 'Derbyshire's other stately homes, Tissington Hall', Derbyshire Life and Countryside.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1746 5235 (40m by 63m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2015 2:18PM