Monument record MDR10944 - Quarry Siding and Tunnel, Buxworth
Type and Period (5)
- MINERAL RAILWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1847 AD?)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1847 AD?)
- TRAMWAY TUNNEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1847 AD?)
- RAILWAY CUTTING (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1847 AD?)
- RAILWAY SIDING (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1847 AD?)
- None recorded
Former stone quarry, accessed by a short tunnel on the north side of Station Road by the (former) Methodist Chapel. Tramway blocks are still in place - the original type for rails without saddles - and the tunnel is in reasonable condition. The quarry and tunnel probably relate to the early phase of the Bugsworth tramway/basin complex, and may have been abandoned once Crist Quarry opened. Tipping reported at northern end of the tunnel sealing off the tunnel entrance with some damage. (1) Desk based assessment identified that the quarry appears first on the map of 1846, with the tunnel and tramway appearing first on a map of 1860. This pre-dates the main railway line. (2) The quarry and tunnel have been included in the scheduled area of Bugsworth canal basin. (3) Tramway siding diverging from the elevated tramway branch, crossing Station Street in Buxworth, to reach the gritstone quarry via a narrow rock cutting and a short tunnel. It was constructed before 1847. After closure the southern part of the siding was built over by a clubhouse and extension to the school. (4)
- <1> SDR8260 Unpublished document: Letter: 17/1/87: from Ian Edgar: DCC File 4650.5.1.
- <2> SDR18792 Unpublished document: Nevell, M (UMAU). 2002. Station Road, Buxworth, An Archaeological Desk based assessment of Land to the North of Station Road & New Road, Buxworth.
- <3> SDR19592 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2005. Scheduling description: Bugsworth canal basin, tramway, quarry and limekilns. 35608.
- <4> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 5j1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 02366 82167 (93m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2015 4:03PM