A barrow, of earth and gravel, twenty-eight yards in diameter and two feet six inches high, on a hill at Newton Grange looking towards Parwich. It was opened in 1851 but only charcoal, burnt earth and a few flints were found on the natural surface. (1,3). The barrow was not located. (2,3).
A destroyed or lost barrow excavated by Carrington on the 15th July 1851 with no finds recovered and excavated again on the 18th October 1851. During the second excavation he dug a large central trench and discovered that most of the natural level was strewn with charcoal and burnt earth, with some 'rude' flints. Other sections of the barrow were dug but no finds were uncovered. (5). According to Barnatt, there is no known extant site on the hill at Newton Grange, but he is certain that it existed on the north-south ridge immediately east of Newton Grange. Therefore this approximate area has been plotted on the map. (6).
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 178.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 20-MAY-66.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 79.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9:29.
Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 16 53 (187m by 109m) (Approximate)
NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 31 2007 9:57AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.