A Roman lead pig was found in 1783 lying a few inches beneath the surface of the ground, near Matlock Bank, when some recently enclosed common land was being cleared. The lead pig was given to the British Museum in 1797. It was inscribed on the top only L (ucii) Aruconii Verecundi, metal (li) Lutud (arensis). (1) No further information. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p 231.
Personal Observation: F1 FDC 14-FEB-66.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 299 606 (point)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.