(Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Easterly section of retaining wall to carry the Buxton Road turnpike, climbing past the south side of Townend Yard. Massive mortared gritstone retaining wall, increasing from roughly two to three metres in height eastwards. Built of well-coursed dressed blocks with rounded dressed copestones, and presumed to be secondary phase of building. At its west end there is a blocked-up cart passage access to the Peak Forest Tramway yard (despite present height disparity at this point). The wall section immediately to the west, serving as the lower gable end of a warehouse, is presumed to be the earliest remnant of the former turnpike walling. The easterly section appears to replace a building shown on the 1847 map, and must thus have been constructed after 1847. (1)
Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature No. 56.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 06503 80871 (39m by 1m)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2015 12:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.