Large, rectangular, gabled former warehouse, 21x14m, with queen post roof and evidence for the position of massive derrick cranes. North and south gables, with blind west elevation, of coursed rubble gritstone, the south and west elevations showing clear evidence of having been built above a pre-existing yard wall. The wall to the south was also the retaining wall for the Buxton turnpike road. The symmetrical eastern elevation has central arched doorway for tramway access, with the southerly cart access door blocked, and the equivalent northerly door recently extended upwards to accommodate a roller shutter door. Built as Peak Forest Tramway 'shade' or covered warehouse after 1810, as indicated in a Peak Forest Canal Company memo. Inserted doors and windows, and modern roof. The floor may conceal buried stone tramway rails. Acquired after the war by DCC for a roads depot. (1)
Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 58a-b.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 06477 80883 (14m by 22m)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2015 12:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.