(Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
A small and short-lived limestone quarry, excavated into the south flank of Barmoor near its junction with the dale. This was the original limestone quarry and limekiln for the earliest phase of the Peak Forest Tramway. Despite its early abandonment the essential features of working face, spoil mounds, ash banks, incline and lower siding are visible as earthworks. There is no obvious sign of the remains of the original limekiln, although there may not have been one at this early stage. There was originally a horse gin operating the 33 yard inclined plane. The quarry had a short life, as the Peak Forest Tramway was extended to Dove Holes in 1798, the quality if limestone at Loads Knowl being lower than expected, with a high level of impurities. (1)
Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature No. 101.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 07785 79411 (161m by 102m)
PEAK FOREST, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 23 2013 4:41PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.